“Life’s a Beach” in Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Puerto Morelos is a small town and seaport on the Yucatan Peninsula south of the resort city of Cancun and north of the city of Playa del Carmen. Not a big tourist location like Cancun. Just right for the traveler looking for a great beach getaway.
So why did we select Puerto Morelos to celebrate our wedding anniversary and as a 10-day destination for sun and fun? The town was featured during an episode of International Househunters and looked like our kind of place….. quaint town without a lot of tourists.
We decided to stay at the Grand Residence Rivera Cancun Resort.
Grand Residence is a modern and luxurious resort with every amenity desired on the property. Two restaurants, beach & coffee bars, gym, spa, grocery shop, oceanfront infinity and lap pools, and Caribbean Sea beachfront. The resort is about 2 miles from the town center, within walking distance or a short taxi ride.
Being budget travelers this was a splurge for us and we enjoyed the amazing resort complex and being pampered by the wonderful staff…….maybe a little too much!
The main tourist sites in the area, are Playa del Carmen, the archaeological site of Tulum, the malls of Cancun, the eco-parks Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Xplor, all are close enough to be enjoyed yet far enough away to totally relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the hotel.
Tips & Recommendations:
- Arrange transportation from the Cancun Airport to your lodging prior to traveling. You are swarmed by drivers upon departing the terminal and it feels overwhelming.
- At the Puerto Morelos exit from the highway is a large supermarket and bank with an ATM without additional fees. ATM’s in town and some resorts have very high (7%) of the amount withdrawn in addition to normal ATM fees. ATM’s dispense in US dollars.
- US dollar is accepted everywhere.
- For an incredible spa experience outdoors we recommend Los Colibries Mayan Jungle SPA. Go for the 2 hours and 30-minute package that includes temazcal (sweat lodge), natural body treatment, outdoor bath, and traditional Mayan Massage for only $90 USD per person. Contact Valerie, the owner to make an appointment and she will also arrange transportation from the city center to the spa.
- Few of our favorite eats found to be good – quality, service, value:
- If visiting Tulum, recommend going early to beat the tour bus crowds.