Chiang Mai is a large city with a small town feel which we found refreshing after Bangkok. Located in the northern part of Thailand it has a dryer climate than Bangkok which is in the south.
Listed as a must see city while in Thailand and it lives up to its reputation of a city that has it all – comfortable feeling, safe, clean, friendly people, a shoppers paradise, great street food & restaurants, attractions, temples, and a wonderful place to just chill out. One of our favorites.
Old city wall and moat……
The old city was once encased within square walls and surrounded by a large moat. Some of the crumbling walls remain and the moat is well maintained and nicely lit at night.
With the many night markets and the famous Sunday Night Market Walking Street, it’s a shopper and foodie’s paradise. The Sunday Night Market is a local favorite and the street food is tasty and plentiful. Even if you are not visiting over a Sunday there are many night markets to visit and our favorite is Anusarn Night Market.
Walking the streets of Chiang Mai’s night markets your senses are on overload with the sights and smells of every kind of food imaginable. Although trying some of these foods may be totally outside your comfort zone, once you get up the nerve you will be amazed at how good this food is. The street food is fresh daily and because of the volume, they sell out quickly. Don’t forget to check out the International Food Park/Ploen Ruedee Night Market it’s a great place to get a good variety to choose from, plus a beer or wine, and listen to some live music……and don’t forget dessert.
When you’re in Las Vegas you have to see a show. So what do you do when you’re in Thailand? You see the Chiang Mai Ladyboy Cabaret. Hard to believe these attractive looking women are actually men. They are great performers and the show is fun and entertaining. Photo of Don with one of the performers after the show.
Tips and Recommendations for visiting Hoi An City:
- No hard visa required for Thailand. An arrival tourist visa will be provided during the immigration process.
- Airport meter-taxis are available upon exiting the terminal. If you don’t have the hotel address in Thai, make sure you have the telephone number so they can call for directions if needed.
- We stayed at the Viang Thapae Resort located on a very quiet side street between Tha Pae Road and Loi Kroh Road. Nice hotel with swimming pool and we had the best sleep of our SouthEast Asia trip. Walking distance to everything.
- Loi Kroh Road leads to the Night Bazaar, Anusarn Night Market, Hard Rock Cafe, Starbucks, McDonald’s, just to name a few.
- Favorite shopping:
- Favorite eats:
- Foot massage – top floor of the Night Bazaar and look for the hammocks.
- Spa/massage – Lila Thai Massage has six locations inside the old city. Very professional, clean, and reasonably priced.
- Chiang Mai Ladyboy Cabaret is a must see……great entertainment.